Sunday, February 4, 2007

What's on my iPod?

Nothing - I dont have one - not that I'm complaining - shouldn't after reading Simons excellent piece on how tough it is to be rich. You need to read the comments to get some balance though. I am cross that I never heard that the "eye of the needle" is NOT a gate into Jerusalem. (here and here) - what crap we sometimes hear from pulpits! (makes mental note to stop talking crap in pulpits but realise it is a vain hope)

In fact I am very rich compared to most of the world (otherwise I'd not have spent £1.80 on a bar of fair trade chocolate in Saltaire on my bike ride this morning).

And I do have an MP3 player (Creative Zen Nano + 1GB) It's great! - I can listen to music all the way from Rothwell to Saltaire & back - 38 miles with no repeats.

John Mayer: Continuum

My brother suggested him to me (with the aid of a thumb drive) - I like his bluesey style, and the fact that he likes Hendrix ("Bold as Love" has lovely Hendrix references)

Sting: Brand New Day

I've been enjoying this for a while now - "Fill her up" is a story of a man for whom love gets him turned around, and resisting the temptation of an easy way out. "Tomorrow we'll see" is the touching story of a prostitute. Jesus understood people like that too.

Lowground: Long Way from Home

A great band that my son Andrew played in when he was in York - soft jazzy style with a super female vocalist - Emi.

Lowground: EP

More great stuff from Lowground!

The Beatles: Love

When I was a lad you were either a Beatles fan or a Stones fan - looking back I'm sorry I was such a wimp - I like both. My favourite is the vocal track "Because".

Opeth: Damnation

Son Jono suggested I try them because he thinks my musical tastes are too narrow - I don't try enough new stuff - true. Judging by this I should try more new stuff - It is ok.

Porcupine Tree: Stupid Dream

More via Jono. They do seem to have Floydian influences. Enjoying getting to know them.

Tenhi: Maaaet

Jono again! - The band name sounds like an Ikea whitewood hatstand - but actually they are Finnish - and they sing/chant in Finnish - bit wierd - will try them a bit more.

Pink Floyd: The Division Bell

One of my all time favourite albums from my favourite band. Best track is a lament about the loss of youth's simple pleasures "High Hopes"

Pink Floyd: Pulse

Arguably one of their pinnacle gigs (thogh it is post Roger Waters)

Delirious

Some friends eschew listening to "christian" music - I sympathise, but I do love these songs - some are uplifting - some challenging. A selection of favourite tracks include: "History Maker" and "What a friend".

No comments: