Sunday, January 21, 2007

Why I don't go to church on Sunday morning

It's that time of year - another Sunday - another photo of a muddy bike. It was so bad today I had to hose it down when I got home.

Every Sunday I can I cycle in the morning. It's fun (if sometimes cold & wet), it is good for me (not so good for Flora's sense of humour when I traipse in - in more muddy gear), and it gives me space to think.

I used to go to church on a Sunday morning. Now I don't - and this is why...

1) I discovered to my horror that Sunday morning church had become a "duty". I felt guilty for missing.

2) The community I worship with (Wakefield Baptist Church) now have a "menu" system. We call it "Portfolio Church" - where we are encouraged to chose a balanced diet from a variety of "options" - For worship & ministry I choose the Sunday evening meeting as it fits me better. I look forward to going - most times - and that's how it should be I reckon. Most times I am asked to preach it is at the evening meeting too.

3) My cycle ride is good for me (keeps me a bit fit)

4) I enjoy the ride and feeling a bit more a part of God's brilliant creation.

5) I have time to reflect. (very occasionally profound - but sadly those bits don't seem to make it to the blog!)

Mark 2 vs. 27: "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath..."

No comments: