Saturday, December 23, 2006

Nolly on Sacrifice

Our latest magazine is on "Sacrifice" - one of the core values of WEC. We asked one of our missionary kids to contribute on the subject: "Living with your parent's sacrifices". I think this one is a stunner - see what you think:

Nolly Molton (12) and her family were evacuated from Côte d'Ivoire in November 2004 - when she was 10.

Trouble came like a fire, glowing here and there – there were rumours and gossip, but it never disturbed our area. Then one day we felt it burning all around us. Anger. Hatred. On all sides were mobs, bombs, guns. My heart started to pump fear, not blood. Fear tingled up my legs into my chest. Fear was the only reality. I remember that sleep wouldn't come. Adrenalin was racing through my body. But God has filtered the details and taken them to Himself. So I can’t tell you all about that night, only that I know what it's like to be very, very scared and for God to cover us with His wings, protecting me and every other person in the house.

People say 'Don't store up your treasure on earth.' Well, I try, but I've felt loss many times. I think if I went back to my street in Côte d'Ivoire, I might see girls wearing my now-tattered clothes and playing with my now-broken toys. I often try to ignore the fact that I left with only a few sets of clothes and some most beloved books.

England was an alien landscape. People confused me with their strange foreign ways but my teacher had grown up in Ghana and there were two other girls in my class with African backgrounds. We had a whale of a time!

At first I was ecstatic about coming back to Africa but the thought of leaving all my friends once again caused my lights to dim slightly. Now that I have arrived in Senegal I'm happy to be home – although I'll always be partial to the jungles of Côte d'Ivoire!

No comments: