Friday, December 15, 2006

"Fair trade is good - as far as it goes"

Maybe a bit further than I was giving it credit....

Forgive me - but I always think with my mouth open (usually a second behind the noise...). This seems to apply to my keyboard too - maybe I need to ask the someone to build one that allows me to think before my fingers type the word - no - sorry - I have one - for "comfort curve" read - "they've moved the keys a bit and made them different sizes so I keep mistyping stuff".

Anyway reading Kez (Lamas Log) and also talking to my friend David who has just left me with a treasure chest of fair trade divine chocolate (we were photographing it last night before going out to lose another pub quiz).

Mmmm.. (FX: Man eating chocolate coin {fair trade})

Where was I?

Well this article just goes to prove me a grumpy old git. Fair wams the cockles of your heart.. (or was that the chocolate?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trade justice, absolutely. I totally agree that this is the only way forward, European and USA farm subsidies, dumping of stuff and all the rest. Can't agree that fair trade is a bad idea though, yes it makes rich people feel better, but as fair trade grows, which it sure is, it includes more and more producers, and puts pressure on unclean companies to clean up their act. The economics that Simon quotes in his response assumes that fair trade a. isn't growing, and b. is a simple mathematical equation. As for boycotts being a bad idea, one of my very first acts of political awareness was being about 13 years old, and hearing a black South African (Mandela??) saying I would rather go hungry today than have my kids and my grandchildren go hungry forever. As far as I can see, giving my money to anything at all is an endorsement of that cause and tacit permission for that organisation to behave as it sees fit, be that a charity, a church, or a multnational company. Nestle, Coca Cola, and several others don't get my vote. My vote is not very big, but a few million of us could make a difference, and at least in the meantime I am not personally responsible for funding the diverting of the water supply from local growers in Brazil and India to name but one of Coca Cola's ongoing practises.