Saturday, March 14, 2009

Big Buck Bunny and the post greed economy




I sort of like this cartoon - it is funny, and technically clever - but that isn't the point. The point is that it is licensed under the (fantastic!) Creative Commons license. So for you and me it is free (but even that isn't really the point).

So you can download it for free - even in HD. Or you could buy a copy.

But it doesn't stop there - if you wanted to you could download all of the source material - the materials and objects that form the animation - a bunny's eye, a blade of grass, a musical score.

It doesn't even stop there - you can also download - still for free - all of the software that was used to make the movie. (Blender is one key part)

Now don't be fooled - 99.99% of us have ZERO hope of making a good (or even semi-good) cartoon! I have to say I'm a bit fed up with the thinking that goes "I could do good stuff if only I had the right/latest/grooviest software" NO - we cannot.

But I do love the fact that God's creative spark exists in all of us (well buried in my case...)

And I love the post-greed economy that exists out there - particularly creative commons. I have been instrumental in puttting some CC tracks on a CD - and all my Photos on Flickr are licensed CC.

No comments: